Schalke 04 in turmoil with Nabil Bentaleb told to train alone
Nabil Bentaleb has stated that he was 'very surprised' when he was told by Schalke 04 to train alone, with the former Newcastle United player even taking an optional wage cut in order to 'strengthen the spirit in the team' according to the Algerian's agent.
Bentaleb has come under increased scrutiny at the VELTINS-Arena, with Schalke claiming that there are disciplinary issues with the Algerian, who spent the second half of the 2019/20 season on loan with Newcastle.
Bentaleb was welcomed back in Schalke's first-team last summer, and has made eight appearances for the club since the start of the season, after Steve Bruce decided against signing him for Newcastle on a permanent deal.
Schalke are now sitting bottom of the Bundesliga table, being badly out of form, with Bentaleb and team-mate Amine Harit being told to train away from the rest of the first-team squad, whilst new signing Vedad Ibisevic's contract will be terminated next month.
Schalke's last league win came almost a year ago, on January 17 2020, and ever since then, they have continued to fall off, leading to David Wagner's dismissal early on this season.
Schalke's sporting director, Jochen Schneider has said that whilst Bentaleb is an 'excellent footballer', the two parties will 'part ways' by next summer, and most probably as soon as January.
However, the player's agent Madjib Yebda has reacted to this, speaking on SPORT1, saying "Nabil is very surprised by this suspension as he was not involved in any incidents in the last few games".
"He was absolutely professional from the start of the season. Last week he even agreed to an optional wage waiver to show his respect for the club and to strengthen the spirit in the team."
He concluded by saying "We very much regret this unfair decision. We will take the time to look at the case carefully. So that his rights are respected and upheld."
Schalke currently have the worst defensive record in Europe's top five leagues, and if they get relegated this season, next season would be the first top flight season without The Royal Blues since 1990/91.