top of page

Premier League Recap: Gameweek 8

Last weekend's Premier League action proved to be vital in terms of teams solidifying their current places in the table, with teams from the top end of the table still battling for first place.

Brighton and Hove Albion 1-0 West Ham United

Brighton managed to get three points that take them up the table a whole lot, after winning against West Ham by one goal to nil. Glenn Murray continued to be Brighton's main man, as he handed the Seagulls the lead in the first half, as he poked the ball into the net from a cross by Beram Kayal. West Ham created a host of great chances to equalise, mainly involving Marko Arnautovic, yet the Austrian could not find the target on numerous occasions, hence Brighton came out on top.

Burnley 1 - 1 Huddersfield Town

Huddersfield remain without a win in their opening 8 games of the season, as they drew with Burnley after missing plenty of chances. Burnley took the lead in the first half, as Johann Gudmundsson delivered a brilliant cross right on Sam Vokes' head, who diverted it right past the goalkeeper. After missing more chances, Huddersfield equalised in the second half, as Christopher Schindler got up from the back and headed the ball past Joe Hart, handing Huddersfield a well-earned point.

Crystal Palace 0 - 1 Wolverhampton Wanderers

Wolves incredible start to the season continued once more, as they edged past an impressive Crystal Palace side. Both sides could not find a way to break the other down, as the two teams missed plenty of chances, with Raul Jimenez having two glorious ones, one of which was excellently saved by Wayne Hennessey. Eventually, Wolves quality in attack broke Palace down, and Jimenez found Matt Doherty free, who rifled it past Hennessey for the winner, as Palace were held time and time again by the brilliance of Rui Patricio.

Leicester City 1 - 2 Everton

Everton got themselves a deserved win against a Leicester side that has proved to be very inconsistent so far this season. Everton started off very brightly, as the new-signing Bernard dribbled past a host of Leicester defenders and crossed the ball right in front of the other summer signing, Richarlison, who tucked it away brilliantly for his fourth league goal this season. Late in the first half, Ricardo Pereira cut inside from the left flank and blasted the ball past the goalkeeper with his left foot, giving Leicester an equaliser right before half-time. Wes Morgan got off to a dreadful start in the second half, as he was awarded a second yellow for a late tackle on Richarlison, hence receiving his second red card of the season, after only 8 games. From then on, Everton controlled the match even more, and Gylfi Sigurdsson continued on with his excellent form this season, as he belted home a beautiful goal from outside the box, that nestled right into the top corner, a goal fit to win any match.

Tottenham Hotspur 1 - 0 Cardiff City

Tottenham got back-to-back wins after holding on to a one-nil lead against newly-promoted Cardiff City. Eric Dier got them off to a great start after the ball was scrambling in the box, only to find the Englishman who slotted it into the net. From then on, both sides continued to miss a countless amount of chances, most notably one from Lucas Moura, who saw his effort blocked off of the line incredibly from a defender. The Brazilian continued to be an everlasting danger, and Joe Ralls could not take it anymore, and he eventually took Lucas out, only to end up receiving a straight red card in the process. Cardiff had a late chance to level things up, as Sean Morrison had a header saved brilliantly by Hugo Lloris, who retained a clean sheet and another win for Spurs.

Watford 0 - 4 AFC Bournemouth

Bournemouth retained their excellent form in the league by thrashing an out-of-form Watford side. David Brooks got Bournemouth to a flying start, after he was positioned perfectly for a rebound to score in an open goal and get the Cherries in front. Watford missed a glorious chance as Craig Cathcart was left free in the box, yet he could only head it wide. After that chance, Bournemouth got up the other end and Joshua King was pulled back by Christian Kabasele in the box, resulting in Bournemouth being awarded a penalty, which resulted with the Belgian being sent off and King scoring the penalty. Just before half-time, Bournemouth added a third, after Callum Wilson swung a cross in the box, which King met with his head to loop it over and past the goalkeeper. After half-time, Bournemouth showed that they were not done yet, as Ryan Fraser crossed the ball and found Wilson free in the box, who only needed to tap it home and close the game off, which he did brilliantly.

Manchester United 3 - 2 Newcastle United

Manchester United got back to winning ways after completing a fabulous comeback against Newcastle United. Newcastle got off to a magical start, taking the lead in the opening five minutes of the match, as Kenedy skipped past the defenders and cut inside to finish the ball past David De Gea with his left foot. The Magpies quickly added to their lightning start with another goal, this time from Yoshinori Muto, who twisted and turned in the box and once he found some space, he blasted it into the net. Newcastle could have added to their lead in the first half, yet De Gea was equal to the task numerous times and managed to keep the score as it was till half-time, yet the shambolic defensive display saw Jose Mourinho take off Eric Bailly in the first 15 minutes of the half. In the second half, Manchester United started to attack more than before, with Nemanja Matic even blasting a shot over the bar from close range. United started to get their comeback underway once Juan Mata stood over a free-kick. The Spaniard curled the ball in wonderfully past the goalkeeper and from then on, it was all United. Just a few minutes after Mata's goal, Anthony Martial and Paul Pogba connected beautifully together to get Martial in space to fire in an equaliser, and then the pressure was all on Newcastle. Manchester United kept knocking on the door, but in stoppage time, a delightful cross from Ashley Young found Alexis Sanchez, who headed the ball into the net for the winner, and possibly a turnaround in his fortune in a United shirt.

Fulham 1 - 5 Arsenal

Arsenal made it 9 straight wins in all competitions as they thumped one of their London rivals, Fulham, continuing their magnificent run of form. Arsenal were quick off the mark, as Nacho Monreal passed the ball in the box towards Alexandre Lacazette, who with a sharp turn and finish, blasted the ball past the goalkeeper. However, for all of Arsenal's quality, Fulham momentarily tied the game up right before half-time, as Luciano Vietto teed up Andre Schurrle, who lobbed the ball right over Bernd Leno and into the net. However, Arsenal came out all guns blazing in the second half, and it all started with a wonderful shot from Lacazette from outside the box that went right into the bottom corner. If that goal was not beautiful enough, the next goal definitely was. Arsenal hit Fulham on the break and a number of one touch passes, most notably a backheel from Hector Bellerin, led to Pierre Emerick Aubameyang being left free in the box as he passed it to Aaron Ramsey, who finished the move with an exquisite backheeled effort. Afterwards, Aubameyang got two goals for himself, the first being very similar to Lacazette's first goal, but on the other side, whilst he was left free to run at the goalkeeper for his second, as he tucked it away, finishing off a wonderful win for the Gunners.

Southampton 0 - 3 Chelsea

Chelsea continued to dispatch team after team, this time hammering Southampton by three goals to nil. Chelsea were always on the front foot throughout the match, and it all started with a delicious pass from Ross Barkley to feed the outstanding Eden Hazard, who was free to finesse the ball into the bottom corner, which he did as excellently as ever. Barkley got himself a goal of his own in the second half, as Olivier Giroud volleyed the ball across the goal, only to be touched into the net by the Englishman for his first goal in a Chelsea shirt. To add the cherry on the cake for Chelsea, Alvaro Morata got himself a very late goal, as he was sent through by Hazard, with the Spaniard poking it past Alex McCarthy and into the net.

Liverpool 0 - 0 Manchester City

Both Liverpool and Manchester City remained unbeaten so far this season as they held each other to a nil-nil draw. The game was largely starved of any clear cut chances, apart from a couple handed to Mohamed Salah and Riyad Mahrez who both squandered the chances to give their teams the win. Manchester City were awarded a very late penalty in the match, as Leroy Sane was fouled by Virgil Van Dijk. However, Mahrez stepped up to take the penalty, even though he was clearly out of form, and he showed it as he skied the ball way over the bar, leaving the scores even.

bottom of page